Working Together for a sustainable future
So far, St. Peter's has been awarded 4 green flags on the following themes
- Litter and Waste: Litter & Waste is the first theme. It focuses on litter and waste issues, encouraging a sense of responsibility
- Energy: Energy looks at the steps which can be taken at school to reduce energy consumption and raise awareness of climate change
- Water: This theme develops awareness around water conservation and how to effectively manage this important resource
- Travel: This theme aims to increase the number of students walking, cycling, scooting, using public transport or carpooling to school.
Our current theme is Bio-Diversity.
In order to make St. Peter's National School more insect friendly the Green Schools Committee has purchased a compost bin. This bin will provide compost for our flower beds and will also reduce the amount of food wastage in our classrooms. The following foods can be put into the compost bin:
- Fruits (but no citrus peels)
- Raw vegetables
- Coffee grounds
We have also purchased a new bin for the school yard to continue our work on the theme of Litter and Waste. Please help keep St. Peter's N.S. tidy!