Working Together for a sustainable future
Our wonderful front garden won third place at the Grow Awards on the 21st of June 2018. We would like to thank all the children and parents who helped out on our Action Day as your help has added to the beauty of St. Peter's National School. We would also like to thank our caretaker Pat for looking after the garden and hanging baskets.
bug hotel renovations
The staff of St. Peter's National School are pleased to announce that our bug hotel has been renovated! Some of our guests filed noise complaints about footballs and complained about being cold on the ground. Pat listened to the feedback from our guests and designed this new, beautiful hotel. Book now for summer 2018 to avoid disappointment!
So far, St. Peter's has been awarded 4 green flags on the following themes
- Litter and Waste: Litter & Waste is the first theme. It focuses on litter and waste issues, encouraging a sense of responsibility
- Energy: Energy looks at the steps which can be taken at school to reduce energy consumption and raise awareness of climate change
- Water: This theme develops awareness around water conservation and how to effectively manage this important resource
- Travel: This theme aims to increase the number of students walking, cycling, scooting, using public transport or carpooling to school.
Our current theme is Bio-Diversity.
In order to make St. Peter's National School more insect friendly the Green Schools Committee has purchased a compost bin. This bin will provide compost for our flower beds and will also reduce the amount of food wastage in our classrooms. The following foods can be put into the compost bin:
- Fruits (but no citrus peels)
- Raw vegetables
- Coffee grounds
Ms. McCullen has also purchased a new bin for the school yard to continue our work on the theme of Litter and Waste. Please help keep St. Peter's N.S. tidy!